Social Justice and Community Outreach (SJCO) Ministry Overview
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” (Proverbs 31:8-9)
Welcome to the Social Justice and Community Outreach Ministry (SJCO)! We hope that you will join us in our efforts to create a more just and equitable society. We seek to demonstrate God’s love in our service to those in need. We invite your participation in our efforts to help brothers and sisters in need.
The principal goal of the Social Justice and Community Outreach Ministry is to promote and facilitate Awareness, Advocacy, and Action on the part of the Shiloh congregation as regards social and economic and community-well being issues that impact our congregation, our extended church family, and our community. To achieve this goal, SJCO will work collaboratively with other Shiloh Ministries to:
- Project and protect the identity of Shiloh as not only a historic house of worship, but also as a critical social and economic development partner in the present, and future thriving of the Shaw Community.
- Maintain consciousness of and be prepared to take relevant initiatives on or make timely responses to political, economic and public policy developments that affect our congregation and our community.
- Make maximum use of the church's physical facilities to offer community-based activities in the area of education; youth development; community health and wellness; and family economic well-being.
- Maintain close contact and working relationships with local governing bodies, to include Area Neighborhood Commissions (ANCs); the D.C.City Council; the Office of the Mayor; the United States Congress; the White House.
- Engage in sustained community outreach for the purpose of making Shiloh's theological, social, and political VOICE heard, respected, and valued by all communities that make up the Shaw community and the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
The present leaders of the Social Justice and Community Outreach Ministry are Daryl Branson, Mary Buckley, and Earl Yates. It operates under the oversight of Minister Thomas Bowen.
submitted by the Social Justice and Community Outreach Ministry