Deacon Robert Gunn
One of my favorite passages of scripture is recorded in Proverbs 3: 5-6.
 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
The way I understand that, is that if you trust and believe in God, you have no choice but to acknowledge Him in ALL your ways giving of you time, talents, and resources. All He asks for you to give 10% of your resources. The remaining 90% is yours.
Do not lean to your own understanding, No, I don’t understand, and I don’t think I ever will that by just giving 10% back to God and in turn I receive blessings that that 10% can’t even pay for.
I’ve been a consistent tither since the early 1990’s. But before then I understood the concept of tithing but I just had to go head first and trust God and do it. Since then I can’t ever seriously remember ever wanting for anything. God has and continued to supply all.
It’s been well over 10 years since I stood before you and gave a tithing testimony. That time I had been let go from a job but the Lord kept me going, not missing a beat, even when I had to tithe from an unemployment check for several months- the Lord kept me going. You know I can laugh at that now.
Since that job I was let go from was well over 10 plus years, God blessed me with a few other jobs in the meantime all the way up to Him directing my path to this position that I’ve had for the last 8 years. And I’ll state again, even though I was on unemployment and worked temporary jobs I STILL gave my 10% to Him. That 90% was plenty.
Sure, I hit some bumps every now and then but, at least I didn’t hit a wall. I stumbled a few times but didn’t fall. Utilities and other bills and were paid on time, mortgage was never late, and I never went hungry.
Paul in his letter to the church at Philippi wrote, as it is recorded in Philippians 4: 11-
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
I was content; I was so busy thanking God for his goodness to me that I didn’t have to ask him for anything. I was happy and content in realizing that God said I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee as recorded in Hebrews 13:5 but, I had to make sure my conscious was clear by being obedient and giving Him His 10%.
Sure the tangible blessings are nice but I’ve learned to appreciate the intangible blessings God gives as well. For instance, I’m a transplant from Illinois and have just a few biological family here but I have a loving and caring church family - right here, that’s a blessing. I have some talents given by God that people have called on me (if you’ve ever tasted my baking you know of one). And I’ve had type 2 diabetes for 27 years and have maintained good control without any complications.
I could go on but I’ll to back to Proverbs 3: 5-6
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Trust and acknowledge the Lord to the point that you will be obedient and give him your tithe. Don’t try to understand how he will bless you, just know that He will.